New power unit in Greece
Ptolemais V is a new Power Unit of P.P.C.S.A. of Greece, fired with pulverized lignite and capable of generating 660 MWel gross power with additional thermal power of 140 MWth, for district heating.
The Unit, among other benefits, contributes to a significant improvement of the environmental footprint, due to it’s latest tech implementation and twin Electrostatic Precipitators weighing approximately 3500 tons, of multiple grades of welded Steel.
EMEK S.A., a Heavy Industrial Fabricator with 50 years experience, “was challenged” by the huge amount of (nearly 9000 – all sizes) 2D drawings provided by the structural firm in order to fabricate the 'Steel of ESP”, and turned to MSC services to verify the design & fabrication feasibility with a BIM model, before going to production.
MSC Ltd. formed two teams that worked in one Tekla 2016i shared model and managed to keep the fabrication & erection flowing with verified data & drawings, just in time, and responding to peaks of milestone demands.
It was clear from the beginning that nearly all steel elements of the model should not only be LOD 400 but also implement enough attributes, allowing easy control for all participants of the constantly increasing “Project Modeled Size” in parts, welds, assemblies, drawings and data.
Possible inconsistencies should be resolved at an early stage of modeling, in order to minimize any reworking of stages , call backs, revisions and also keeping the flow going.
Seven interesting facts
• 98% of the Revision’s was kept in the modeling zone.
• Partially IFC models for Visual Verification, where used, until Issue For Fabrication State is reached.
• High rate of part similarity applied to reduce complexity.
• Weld preparations for workshop or site welds after optimization, where passed at the part level data.
• Overall amount of drawings used was reduced to nearly 5800, providing also 3900 NC data files.
• Production started shortly after 60% of the BIM model was verified.
• When 90% of the model was verified, fabrication was at 35% and erection at 15%.