We were employed to design the steel structure from phases 3 to 5 according to HOAI. The building in total is about 4300 tonnes of steel.
We used BIMcollab BCF tools to coordinate all queries, clashes, problems, and solutions in collaboration with our partners. We found BIMcollab to be effective in helping us overcome the many challenges attributed to a project of this size and complexity.
The client utilized Navisworks for all their coordination meetings, and we exported all our models to IFC every week. The models were reviewed in an online meeting, and BCFs were used to convey changes, updates, and areas needing review.
To help our team manage such a large structure, we used a workflow to first model the structure in Tekla. We then exported several smaller analysis models from Tekla direct to Dlubal RFEM, where we designed the structure before exporting the designed structure sizes back to the Tekla model. Doing this helped us significantly improve the project’s speed and accuracy, allowing us more time to check and review the model for changes.
Our internal coordination was done in Tekla Model Sharing and Trimble Connect as a second option for comparing and checking IFC models. We used the shared Tekla model option so the client could access the live model and upload and control all their company’s equipment reference models. This gave the client greater control over the live model and increased security over their equipment models. We also used the Compare IFC option to review updated versions of the reference models and quickly check and update the structure affected by these changes.
We used Grasshopper and Rhino to directly compare the physical and static models, quickly spot any differences or missing members in each model, and then update the relevant model.
Using the design checking parameters and class colors in Tekla, we could easily control and highlight the changes to the structure on the drawings and in the IFC exports to our partners and contractors.
Having the physical model linked to the analysis model meant we could update the structure quickly, allowing us more time to review and improve the design, thus reducing the overall steel tonnage and increasing the layout’s repetitiveness and site erection problems. Following this process helped decrease the environmental impact of the project.
In the review of our workflow, we used the direct link between the static and the physical model, which allowed us to significantly improve the speed and accuracy of the design. Additionally, we found we could spend more time reviewing the overall design and controlling the effects of changes in the equipment layouts in the building.