Chief Sales Estimator
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Located in Lancaster, PA, we have worked on projects throughout the Tri-State area. We are a family-owned business that has been working in steel construction for three generations; steel is what we do. Utilizing state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, we can fabricate anything with steel, including large, heavy projects as well as fancy railings and stairs. We are leaders in the industry and are one of the largest and most respected steel fabricators and erectors in Central PA, dedicated to providing quality products and service in a timely and cost-effective manner.
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The Chief Sales Estimator reports to the Vice President of Sales and leads a team of 3-5 estimators.
They are responsible for reviewing upcoming potential projects and then helping to decide which projects to bid on and at what price point — with the end goal of winning bids that maintain appropriate margin and maximize production without overwhelming it. As part of the steel fabrication industry, this role primarily focuses on structural steel and miscellaneous steel estimations. Tekla software is used significantly, and previous experience working with it a great advantage.
This requires someone who can see the system overall and the variables contributing to it. They must also be able to work independently while gathering and communicating information across a range of stakeholders. This position also requires significant coordination and communication with key personnel in Operations, Finance and Project Managing as well as frequent interactions with vendors, subcontractors, clients, engineers, detailers, and customers.
Steel Fab is currently transitioning from second generation owners to the third generation. A successful candidate will be able to accept levels of ambiguity and feel purpose in helping their team navigate through change.
View the detailed job description: https://bit.ly/3ExgJoC
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Areas of expertise:
- Excellent knowledge of the steel industry
- Understands capacity and capabilities of the fabrication and erection team
- Proficient in sales take off, budget development, and contract review.
- Can understand shop’s capabilities and schedule in order to properly bid projects.
- Project and job costing concepts — including labor rates and overhead
- Budget management
- Steel detailing and estimating steel costs /market value
- Proficient in MS office, especially Word and Excel
- Proficient in Tekla modeling and estimating software
- Able to perform take offs in Bluebeam
- Structural steel, misc. metals, and erection take offs
- Effectively use of project management software
- Project-related calculations—such as proportions, discounts, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Professionally write memos, letters, emails, etc.
- Effective verbal communication; succinctly present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and fellow employees.
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Interpret a variety of instruction furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
- Above average in detail orientation and organization
- Able to obtain and retain information
- Constantly works to improve accuracy of estimates—proactively seeks guidance and direction as necessary to perform duties and is willing to receive criticism/ feedback/direction from others; also able to offer the same to others in a constructive manner
- Identifies needs and situational factors without always being told explicitly; able to interpret context
- Able to explain, teach and / or demonstrate what to do
- Able to inspire, persuade, and sell
- Builds and maintains cooperative working relationships
- Good time management
- Can identify and address priorities
- Can work independently with minimal supervision
- Competent team leader
- Able to maintain discretion and confidentiality
Minimum 6 years of experience in structural steel estimating or an equal combination of education and experience.
Must have a current driver’s license to travel to various customer locations and job sites or be able to provide own transportation.
Degree in business, finance, or related field a plus.
You can apply directly by emailing CEjob_SFE@limevalleymgt.com with the subject: “Chief Estimator Application”