The Fulham Gasworks project is a new development in London close to the River Thames. The old industrial district has been redeveloped into a modern commercial and living development, creating over 1800 homes, restoring two Grade II listed buildings and covering 100,000 sqft.
The project consists of in-situ structures that were integrated with all precast elements using twinwall walls. The twinwall elements consist of 2 x 65mm thick concrete plates separated by a lattice girder to form a core between the plates. After the walls are erected on site, the core is filled with in-situ concrete to complete the composite wall. Stabilised by 3 tower blocks with 7 precast stair cores to this project, the tallest of which was 13 storeys high.
A range of precast products were used across the various blocks, including twinwall, precast flights, composite landings and solid walls. The precast twinwall system was chosen due to the significant programme benefits offered over traditional cast in-situ methods. The stairs also provided an immediate safe passageway between levels. All cores were integrated with insitu slabs structures. The precast model was coordinated in conjunction with the collaboration plans.
Efficient tools and components
A major challenge for this project was the extremely onerous lead in-time and the integration of the precast cores with the insitu structure around the cores. Also included in our documentation was a full set of site-reinforcing drawings and accompanying reinforcing schedules to aid in the placing of all site placed reinforcement. For the design process in this project, Tekla software has met all our expectations and provided the most efficient tools and components for creating the 3D model and all accompanying documentation.
The benefits of using BIM and the Tekla software:
- 3D model to easily view and detect any clashes
- General arrangement drawings including all connection details were efficiently produced from the 3D model
- Site reinforcement drawings were efficiently produced from the 3D model
- Site reinforcement schedules were automatically generated form the 3D model
- All element shop drawings were automatically generated from the 3D model
- Automatically export production machine files (Unitechnik files) to the automatic manufacture plant. This allowed the manufacturing plant to plot the elements, cut and place the reinforcement and place all cast-in items automatically, significantly reducing manufacturing times
- The delivered documentation with BIM model allows to our team quick check and avoid issues with potential clashes and any unforeseen issues in our automatic manufacturing plant
- Delivery and sequencing plans for logistic and site coordination
Important points or benefits:
- Oran Precast was responsible for design and manufacture precast structures by 3 tower blocks with 7 precast stair cores to this project, the tallest of which was 13 storeys.
- No. precast twinwall: 778
- A total of 5392 sqm
- No. precast flights: 99
- No. precast solid walls: 133
- No. precast landings: 94