Tekla Portal Frame Designer & Tekla Connection Designer
The simple approach to portal frame and connection design.
The automated design of steel portal frames and steel connections just got a whole lot easier as Tekla Portal Frame Designer and Tekla Connection Designer now integrate with Tekla Structural Designer. Packed with really clever features and functions to make your life easier these specialist tools will help you increase efficiency and design with confidence.
Produce highly competitive portal frame designs quickly
Tekla Portal Frame Designer is now an integrated part of the Tekla software family. Integrating seamlessly with Tekla Structural Designer or acting as a stand alone application, Tekla Portal Designer is packed full of features and functionality that enable efficient and rigorous design to create cost effective design solutions for steel portal frame buildings.
Trusted by UK Structural Engineers for portal frame design for over 30 year the product retains its unique elastic-plastic analysis approach to efficiently create single and multi-bay portal frame designs. Automated checks for sway, member stability and snap through are included along with automated loading for wind, snow, cranes, ties and parapets. Final designs can be communicated through clear and concise documentation that includes drawing and calculations.
Analysis and Design features
- Easily produce both preliminary and detailed portal frame design options.
- Understand hinge history of the frame including hinge reversal and spurious mechanisms.
- Fully interactive member stability checks.
- Automate frame sway stability checks (including SCI P292 full second order elastic-plastic analysis).
- Integrate eaves, apex and base plate connections to BCSA/SCI Green Book.
- Build your own steel portal frame.
- Choose from symmetric, asymmetric, propped, monopitch, mansards or flat top portal frames.
- Include valley beams, ties, cranes, floor beams and parapets as required.
- Select from pinned, fixed or partially fixed base conditions.
- Optimise haunches from rolled sections or plated sections.
- Apply dead and imposed load cases automatically.
- Calculate wind loading and snow loading to BS6399 automatically
- Easily apply notional horizontal loading for sway stability.
- Customise and export reports to Microsoft Word.
- Export foundation and connection forces to Microsoft Excel.
- Save all output documents in PDF format.
Design and detail steelwork connections simply and efficiently
Tekla Connection Designer is the new name for Fastrak Connections. Using the stand alone product you can design moment or simple connections, column base and hollow section connections. If you are using Tekla Structural Designer or Tekla Portal Frame Designer moment and base plate connections integrate seamlessly improving design efficiency.
Moment connection features include:
- Beam to column connections including portal frame eaves connections.
- Beam to beam connection design including portal frame apex connections and splice connections.
- Applied design forces include moment, shear and axial force.
- Stiffeners including shear, rib, full depth, flange plate, cap plate, web plate and extension plate.
- Haunches from section cutting or built up plate.
Column base features include:
- Simple and moment steel base plate design with or without eccentricity.
- Applied design forces include moment, shear, axial and fire base conditions.
- Stiffeners include rib, gusset and flange plate.
- Pad foundation design with or without reinforcement.
- Individual or combined anchor plate check.
Simple connection features include:
- Beam to column connection design to both web and flange.
- Single and double sided beam to beam connection design with notching.
- Options include fin plate, flexible end plate, angle cleat and toe plate.
- Applied design forces including shear and tying force.
- Bearing and non-bearing column splice design with inside and/or outside flange cover plates.
Hollow section connection features include:
- Welded tubular connection design with Y, X, K or KT configurations.
- Option for I or H section chords.
- International database of rolled I, H and hollow sections.
- Applied design forces include brace and chord axial loading and in-plane moment.
- Orientation of chords and braces can be rotated.