Chinese Bridge, Dumfries House
Land Engineering came to CTS Bridges after securing the contract to provide an ornamental Chinese Footbridge over the Lugar Water at Dumfries House, Cumnock, Scotland for The Great Steward of Scotland’s Dumfries House Trust. They had a very short programme as the bridge had to be installed in time for a visit by Prince Charles the Duke of Rothesay who is patron of The Great Steward of Scotland’s Dumfries House Trust. Following an urgently arranged pre-let meeting with CTS Director, Sally Preston, it was agreed that CTS would meet the timescale of just 12 weeks to carry out the detailing, manufacture, delivery and installation of a bespoke three span bridge.
The style of the bridge was taken from an original drawing submitted by Scottish Architect Robert Weir Schultz in 1899. The original bridge was never built but now 118 years later, it has been realised thanks to funding from the Dunard Fund. CTS utilised their Tekla Structures 3D modelling system to detail the structure that incorporated two side spans of 12m each and an 18m central span that included steps at each side. The three spans were trial erected prior to being painted with two colours. The bridge was transported to site in three pieces and each section lifted into place prior to site welding together.