The Alexander Stadium is an international-standard athletics venue, hosting events such as the British Championships and is the home of the Birchfield Harriers Athletics Club.
The stadium has a capacity of 20,000 and will be the host of the 2022 Commonwealth Games. For Alexander Stadium, BHC are not only the suppliers of the steelwork, we also supplied off-site fire protection, metal decking, concrete topping, precast terracing, and steel stairs. As well as the construction of the new west stand, the project also includes the construction of the new north and south tiered seating. The West Stand at Alexander Stadium is a steel braced-frame acting compositely with in-situ concrete slabs on metal decking. The seating was provided by precast units supported on raking steel beams. The roof was formed in cantilevering hollow section trusses, braced for restraint.
- Large cantilever trusses to form the roof
- Fabrication in complete welded assembly
- Long length material sourced from French Mills to make this possible
We successfully designed, detailed and fabricated the long span trusses and delivered them to site, on time and within programme.
Benefits of using BIM and Tekla software
- Closely coordinate and share models with precast supplier and stair suppliers who were also using Tekla software
- Consultant BIM models were used to check and verify complex roof geometry set out
- Pre-set roof geometry was modelled and checked for compliance with design requirements
- Connection details for visible areas were developed using the 3D model to better understand the visual impact
- Structural connections coordinated with cladding interfaces
- Metal decking and edge trims modelled in Tekla and coordinated with steel frame
- Edge protection system modelled in Tekla
Important points or benefits:
- Bolts: 12749
- Steelwork: 1500t
- Assemblies: 2278
- Drawings: 12411
- Length: 152m
- Cantilever truss assemblies: 30m long