This building was built in 1973 as an educational facility. It is a reinforced concrete structure and the building area is 1449.42㎡, total ground area is 4568㎡ and the height is 10.8m.
This elementary school in Gwang-ju college of education has three floors above ground, and is located in Gwang-ju megalopolis city, Republic of Korea.
Safe green remodeling was formed by a combination of the viscous damper, is a part of the vibration damping device, and the horizontal louver at the decrepit reinforced concrete structure buildings. This new system improves seismic performance and environment energy efficiency.
What were the challenges and what made the project successful?
- Assectional forms of the members were diverse in the model made of reinforced concrete structure, plenty of efforts were required to express rebar placement and joint parts in Tekla
- The student project team focused on making components of viscous damper through Tekla and modeling a corresponding new frame
- Performance improvement was verified by using a third-party structural analysis tool
- The interoperability between Tekla solutions and other BIM platform improved efficiency of work
Benefits of using BIM and tekla solutions on this project
- Various BIM models can be more effectively used in overall lifecycle from design of the structure, construction and repair & maintenance to dismantlement because, unlike existing 2D-based tools, they can be expressed in 3D and more precisely and can perform numerous functions such as quantity calculation, structure interpretation and creation of blueprints in diverse construction projects
- These advantages can check the possibility of Safe Green Remodeling of implementation, it will help to allow the sophisticated design of the junction.
- Tekla tool is easy to use to produce economical analysis via output function of the amount; fabricating a component can be easily introduced into a new project in the future
- Tekla tool can be variously utilized based on the compatibility with various other BIM software
- Tekla tool is not only applicable in South Korea, but works globally
- Tekla tool provides a variety of components and makes it possible to make individual modifications
- Tekla tool can easily find errors in a design - something that 2D drawings certain cannot achieve efficiently
- These advantages can support manufacturing and procurement activities required for the remodeling project