Tamilnadu Cements Corporation Limited (TANCEM), a wholly owned Government of Tamilnadu undertaking, started business from 1st April 1976, set up cement plant at Ariyalur in the year 1979 for cement production. TANCEM planned to expand its business and built 3000TPD (Tonnes per Day) Clinkerisation plant at Ariyalur, Tamilnadu. Objective of Government to expand production of Cement at this plant is to help lower and middle income groups (LIG, MIG) to purchase cement at subsidized prices.
Details of Clinker Storage Silo:
It’s a storage silo to store Hot clinkers (175 Deg Celsius) produced by Kiln process and cooled using cooler fans. Capacity of silo is 30,000MT, Diameter of Silo – 35m. It consists of three parts viz., Post Tensioned RCC silo, Structural steel dome & Penthouse.
Structural system consists of Post Tensioned Reinforced Concrete (RCC) silo for a height of 26m supported on angular raft foundation. Roof of the silo is made up of structural steel dome (10.2m height) with Radial trusses connecting to Compression & Tension Ring beam placed over RCC silo thro Mono axial Bearing. Penthouse structure is provided for Clinker transfer and to house Dust Extraction system, which is configured with steel portal frame & rafter in one direction & ties, Bracings in other direction supported over Structural steel Dome.
Ties & Bracings provided along the circumference of Dome & in Penthouse for lateral stability. Gravity load from Dome & Penthouse & Lateral pressure due to stored clinker shall be resisted by RCC silo.
Benefits of Tekla BIM Software in the project:
1. Facility to import STAAD model into TEKLA, which reduced considerable time involved in modeling
2. Better visualization and understanding of structure and interference elements in 3D for designers and BIM modelers
3. Making effective structural configuration/ arrangement with different options with due consideration for erection feasibility
4. Produces clash-free and error-free detailing / quality drawings, which eliminates problems and reworks at site
5. Interoperability with REVIT structure, which produces combined RCC and steel model
6. Sharing of model with site engineer with TEKLA BIMsight viewer helps for better understanding of structure and execution
7. Co-ordination with other BIM softwares using TEKLA BIMsight
8. Readily generatable BOQ itemwise
9. Multiple team participation / deployment possible for drawing production
10. Easy tracking of new changes / revisions
11. Able to take section wherever required at any point of time
12. Linking of reference 2D (AutoCAD, PDF) drawings into model
13. Can generate sequence / animation for effective presentation
14. Can link with time schedule and costing