"de Meent" was an existing ice skating building, with a (small) sports complex built next to it. "de Meent 2.0" was designed so that the new sports complex became integrated into the existing ice skating hall, and also the existing fitness center. The new sports complex was also much bigger, featuring Olympic-size playing fields with a total of 3,700m2 just for sports alone.
- Building with multiple fire zones within a single steel construction. This was obtained by designing steel connections which will "give way" if the neighboring fire zone were to collapse
- Collaboration with the prefab concrete supplier / designer, we have designed nearly all heavy structural connections to their concrete elements
- Clash checking with the HVAC designer and detailer KIN through IFC files, the general contractor also helped with this clash checking
- Complex (circular) overhangs as long as 13 meters
- Production of steel stair railings by 3D scanning the concrete stairs after they were placed in the building.
What made the project successful
All main parties worked with BIM / 3D models even including the (aluminum) facade and cladding. Having the HVAC designer work in 3D with IFC files was also a big advantage. Maybe even most important, almost every week we had a construction meeting with the architect, the structural engineer, the general contractor and other important parties at our office @ Vic Obdam Steel Construction. This is because the steel structure is the main part of the building, and we are at the beginning of every process.