Dubai-based retailer Majid Al Futtaim Properties (MAF) announced plans to develop an OMR180 million ($467.5 million) shopping mall in Oman.
Mall of Oman, spread across 157,000 sqm, will include 350 stores and will be located in the Bauwsher District in Muscat. Anchor tenants will include Carrefour, VOX Cinemas and Magic Planet, MAF said in a statement.
Work on the project, set to be the Sultanate’s largest shopping destination, will begin in 2014 and it is slated for completion in the fourth quarter of 2017.
George Kostas, CEO of Majid Al Futtaim Properties said: “Oman’s new shopping and entertainment destination is expected to generate 1500 jobs for its construction and a further 3500 jobs once opened, and will enhance the Sultanate’s retail and entertainment offering for both residents and tourists.
AIC Scope is the whole project which has total steel weight of 8200 tons.
Mall of Oman spreads across 157,000 sq meter
Estimate cost $467.5 million
Include 350 stores
1500 jobs for its construction and a further 3500 jobs once opened
“The Mall of Oman will also provide an opportunity for our retail partners to further establish their businesses in the Muscat market.”
CHALLENGES AND SUCCESS
- Tight schedule
- Abnormal architecture design of most of the mall sections
- A lot of manual work while modeling due to the complex of the model.
- 90% of drawings depend on manual work (erection and fabrication drawings)
- Hard-work of all the staff (detailing, project, fabrication, managing...)
- Perfect leadership of the project heads.
- Experienced detailers and developers in using Tekla.
- Tekla helps a lot and makes a big difference for coordination of the project with internal sections and with the client by using IFC models and Tekla BIMSight for coordination.
- API helps a lot to develop plugins & applications that help to expedite the rate of production with perfect quality.
Arabian International Co. for Steel Structures (AIC) is a leading designer, fabricator, and erector of structural steel and towers. We are committed to delivering world-class structural steelwork solutions to the region across a wide range of sectors.
Incorporated in 1994, AIC has been serving the needs of the Oil and Gas, Refining, Petrochemical, Power, Smelting, Steel, Industrial, Desalination and Commercial and Retail projects. We have offices and factories across Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Jordan, United Kingdom and China serving the needs of the MENA region.
Traditionally, the Company has been structured into two divisions - Structural Steel and Transmission / Telecom Towers. However, we have now extended our expertise to encompass Construction and Heavy Equipment Leasing as well.
We are managed by dedicated and qualified professionals who are committed to understanding and serving the needs of our clients. AIC is known for the quality of its products and services and for its attention to safety. We are determined to maintain our high standards through continuous improvement of processes and procedures.
AIC is a member of the Attieh Group of companies. The Attieh Steel Group is the largest steel stockiest in the Middle East.