FOOTBRIDGES AT AL ITTIHAD ROAD, KING FAISAL & KING ABDUL AZIZ STREETS
Al Ittihad Road Footbridge located in Sharjah, UAE is an arch suspended deck system with the curvy alignment of the walkway, fully integrated with elliptically spiral ramps placed at both ends of the bridge. Footbridge arch spans across the road by ca. 92m with a height of 26m above ground level. Width of walkway deck is 4.8m with 4m wide pedestrian clearance. The footbridge crosses Al Ittihad Road with ca. 70m wide road clearance underneath and min. 6m high clearance height under its deck. The structure provides pedestrian and cycle crossing under a shaded canopy. Crossing includes lighting and other electrical and drainage services. Installation of the bridge required keeping undisturbed traffic on Al Ittihad Road which is the main infrastructural artery linking Sharjah and Dubai.
CHALLENGE AND SUCCESS
1) Continuous work over live traffic and with limited access on site.
2) Heavy fabrication, transportation, and installation in difficult conditions.
3) Curvy decking structure with a little number of supports required extensive temporary support design and temporary construction works.
4) Structural design is available for the final stage of the complete bridge only. Partial installation stages design was inclusive of all temporary supports and lifting/jacking hardware prepared by the Contractor.
5) Arc pipe of such a big span and section that its fabrication needed to be executed outside of GCC region and then arc shipped in pieces to UAE. Final assembly and preparation for installation in-house by the Contractor.
1) Ability to design a staged installation program with use of automatized tools.
2) Convenient interchange of data between design calculating and fabrication modeling software.
3) Convenient interchange of data and shared design between the Contractor and suppliers of particular engineering solutions (lifting, prestressing, jacking, etc.).
4) Improved management tools for project management team cooperating with design unit and suppliers providing various technologies to the project.
5) Aid in the planning and visualization of a staged program of construction works.
Waanger Biro Gulf LLC is part of the Waagner-Biro Group which was founded in Vienna, Austria, in 1854.
In 1967, Waagner-Biro brought its competence, skill, and ingenuity to the Gulf with the milestone construction of the Al Maqta Bridge in Abu Dhabi.
For 50 years since, the company has provided clients in the region with reliable, technically-advanced and cost-efficient turnkey engineering solutions - designing, building and maintaining iconic structures such as Dubai's Al Maktoum Bridge and the Floating Bridge.
Many of these specialist bridge projects spanned waterways. Their construction, therefore, involved floating equipment and marine engineering capabilities. As a contractor that keeps all expertise and experience in-house without turning to subcontractors, Waagner Biro Gulf moved into the marine engineering field in order to accomplish these projects. Today, we cover almost every field of marine engineering, including the design, manufacture, construction and installation of harbors, marinas and berthing facilities, as well as piling.
In parallel, Waanger Biro Gulf extended its expertise in the bridge industry. Throughout the years numerous pedestrian bridges have been designed and constructed in the UAE and other countries of the GCC region. The company delivered also various specialized steel structures, both for industrial applications and for high-end luxury finish projects.