Tekla BIM sofware uses FlexNet Publisher Licensing (further FlexNet), a system provided by Flexera Software. FlexNet is an activation-based floating licensing system. This licensing technology broadens licensing options and helps prevent unauthorised usage of Tekla software.
Activation-based licensing differs slightly from traditional licence file-based licensing. In activation-based licensing you will need to
- Install and set up a licence server either on a server computer to serve multiple users or on a single computer to serve a single user
- Activate your licences; during the activation the licence rights are transferred from Tekla to your company and the licences become enabled at your end
- In a server computer system, point each client computer with Tekla Structures to the licence server
Get started with Tekla Structures
To get started with Tekla Structures software licence, you need
- An entitlement certificate that contains your licence rights; your local Tekla reseller emails you the entitlement certificate on request
- Tekla Structures Licence Server installation package (available on the Tekla Structures download page on the Tekla extranet)
- Tekla Structures installation package
Flexible licence handling
- No hardware locks and password files
- Efficient handling of licences. The licences can be activated on a server in a local area network. When a user starts Tekla Structures, the software automatically obtains a licence from the server. When the user no longer needs the licence, the licence is returned to the licence server and it is available to another user.
- Multiple options for managing licences. You do not have to install all of your licences on the same server computer. You can, for example, activate half of your licences on a common server and the rest of the licences locally on individual user's laptop. You can easily change the location of the licences by deactivating the licences, and then reactivating them on another computer.
- Create user groups with different access rights. For example, users can be given access or denied access to certain Tekla BIM configurations or actions on those configurations.
- Borrowing a licence for offline use. When users leave the office and have no connection to the licence server, they can borrow licences for a limited time for offline use. The borrowed licence is reserved for the user until it expires or it is returned to the licence pool.