Product model and core functionality for documenting and managing network assets
Trimble NIS is a Network Information System for energy and water utilities’ business operations. Intelligent network model with integrated GIS functionality and a core functionality for documenting and managing network assets are central to the system. Elementary concepts such as topology and life cycle support for network objects are built-in properties of the model.
The model supports electricity, district heating, water and wastewater, and gas networks. It can also be extended with external data, such as customer information. GIS with powerful network modeling functionality makes network documentation work efficient and data fit for multi-use.
Trimble NIS includes several modular industry applications:
- Power System Analysis
- Network Planning and Construction
- Asset Management
- Network Investment Management.
- Asset data in one system for the entire network lifecycle
- Significant efficiency improvements in network asset management processes
- Versatile support for strategic planning and decision-making
- Secure and effective access also for external users, such as contractors
Power System Analysis
Comprehensive tools for making power network calculations for current and future network setups in radial and meshed networks
The network designer uses the Power System Analysis application during network planning to check the technical dimensioning of existing, new and planned networks to ensure that the network objects meet the electricity distribution requirements.
- Load flow calculations help to determine whether the cables and other network components are correctly dimensioned.
- Short-circuit and earth fault calculations check the dimensioning of the protection devices with the maximum and minimum short-circuit and earth fault currents part of all parts of the network.
- Reliability calculation is used to compare the long-term costs and reliability of different scenarios to choose the ideal network structure.
- Possibility to plan and verify safe and optimal usage of the network
- Easier to determine the optimal investments in network construction
- Checking dimensioning and protection
Network Planning and Construction
Versatile tools for managing the network life cycle from strategic long-term planning to construction
Network Planning and Construction provides planning support to all levels of network planning. The strategic long-term planning is supported with reliability-based network analysis that identifies the weak parts of the network and can simulate alternatives from technical, economical and reliability perspective.
Flexible plan management together with comprehensive network modeling tools enable creating detailed electro-technical network plans of varying scope, from single customer connection to different scenarios of large network projects. Plans are always intelligent network models that can be analyzed with power system analysis and other analysis tools.
In the construction planning phase the materials, actions and costs for building the network are managed. The construction information is automatically generated from electro-technical network plans by using standard material packages and price lists. Plans are in fact turned into construction projects, which include actual budgets with material and work costs.
The results of construction planning can be utilized in external ERP (enterprise resource planning) systems through standard interfaces. Network Planning and Construction tools also support outsourced contractor usage with extensive user rights control.
The plan information is seamlessly integrated to existing network model. This minimizes the time and effort to enable the operative use of the network information when the newly constructed network part is commissioned.
- Fluent workflow
- Reliable basis for decision-making
- Minimized number of errors
- Cost efficiency in building work
Powerful tools for analyzing and reporting infrastructure assets
Asset Management offers versatile possibilities for analyzing energy and water supply networks, infrastructure and land property assets.
Assets' properties, such as performance, reserves, status, condition, volumes, location, age, areal consumptions and trends, can be analyzed and used to calculate present value and re-investment cost. Results can be communicated using thematic maps and reports and distributed using Trimble Webmap. Asset management tools provide the basis for making well-founded investment decisions.
- Comprehensive and easy-to-communicate overview of the present value of assets
- Right long-term investment decisions
- Efficient focusing of short-term investments
Integrated tools for planning and managing the maintenance of infrastructure assets
Maintenance application offers extensive support for maintenance of energy and water supply networks and public infrastructures.
With the application, repair, inspection and maintenance works can be planned and scheduled based on budget and resources. The data can also be analyzed and reported for investment planning. Maintenance data can be viewed and captured in the field by using mobile devices.
- Cost savings in asset management
- Faster maintenance planning and budgeting
- Improved fieldwork efficiency
Network Investment Management
Efficient tools for comprehensive management of network investments – from investment planning to monitoring and analyses
The Network Investment Management (NIM) application is a solution for the investment management challenges electricity utilities face when the constantly-updated information required in planning is fragmented into various calculations and systems and maintained by different people.
With NIM, the information (such as budgets, estimated costs and actual costs) needed to manage network investments is available in a single location and updated automatically in conjunction with, for example, network plan updates. In this way, the information remains up to date and fully reliable.
The application can be used to analyze the effect of investments on the replacement value and current replacement cost of the network as separate key figures. Other key figures, such as technical network calculation results and figures describing other network features, can also be utilized to plan and prioritize investments.
- Up-to-date information for investment management in a single location
- Utilization of changes in network value to prioritize and manage investments
- Utilization of building costs and technical network calculation results to prioritize and manage investments
A tool for advanced thematic mapping and generating statistical analyses
Spatial Analyses tool comprises the following components:
- Specification functionalities for spatial analyses
- Running spatial analyses
- Data refining tools
The specification functionality specifies the selection criteria and content of the data to be analyzed and determines the results of the analysis. The data refining tools enable importing and refining data content from register files and other databases securely in the system. The data can be combined with geometric data that is managed in our systems or imported from another source.
- Modern user interface
- Significant ease of use and time savings in running analyses
- Extensively applicable in various sectors of an organization
- The selected data can be presented as thematic maps or regular maps or saved in table format for further processing
- The source data of spatial analysis can come from Trimble Locus and Trimble NIS databases or some other relational database and files